59 HARDYS ROAD, UNDERDALE SOUTH AUSTRALIA 5032
Gordon Joseph Tregoning (19.02.1918 – 11.07.2013)
was born in Broken Hill, N.S.W., Australia.
Gordon Joseph Tregoning moved to the suburb of Grange, Adelaide, (South Australia) in 1925 where he attended Grange Primary School and Thebarton Technical Schools.
He apprenticed (as Fitter & Turner) to C.R.Smith & Co. later known as J.R.Engineering Pty Ltd (uncle).
Gordon served in the Royal Australian Navy from 1941 – 1946, mostly on repair ship “Platypus” where he learned many other trades.
After discharge he started business in a tomato shed (90’ x 20’) in Mellor Avenue, Underdale, South Australia.
In 1947 he purchased his present property in Hardys Road, Underdale, South Australia, incorporating Gordon J Tregoning Pty Ltd and Treg Trailers Pty Ltd.
He built his first trailer as a favour for a neighbour and followed on by word of mouth. He gradually expanded but deliberately held the company to a small family enterprise.
The company diversified into other areas; however, the core company remains the same.
Sample of engineering works include; – brick making machines, wine presses, pizza ovens, display and signage works, rainwater tanks, rolling work for Adelaide bus shelters, rolling work for local artist’s including art sculptures, playground equipment including park benches, rolling work for Adelaide Velodrome, rolling work for Australian Submarine Corporation and machining for Torrens Island generator.
Trailer’s manufactured vary from household domestic trailers to custom built trailer’s for various government departments, council’s, telecommunications, mining and exploration, farming and agricultural, camping and storage and trailer’s for the defence force.
Gordon J Tregoning has worked and run the company from 1946 until October 2006 when he retired at the age of 88.
The family company successfully remains operating today.